Thursday, July 16, 2009

Swimming Lessons!

This week Britton had his first two swimming lessons. The first one was a sob-fest... someone's kid threw up in the kiddie pool (eeeeeewwwww!) so they sent our "Mommy-and-Me" class into the big pool with the rest of the guppies. Poor Britton cried and cried and cried. It was cold and loud and the big kids were right next to us doing lots of excellent splashing. I got LOTS of snuggles though-- mainly because he wouldn't relax his death grip on me for anything.
We looked up into the balcony every few minutes and waved to Dada, Mahmaw and Ba-Ba who were cheering him on from above. The expression on his face says it all... he was begging them to come rescue him!After about 20 minutes of the poor little guy crying and clinging to me, I decided we'd had enough for one night.

Swimming lesson #2-- two days later... we were late because Mr B's nap was late. (Never ever ever wake a sleeping baby...) We hurried in and jumped into the kiddie pool where Britton promptly started crying again. After a few minutes of the same routine, I remembered a story I'd been told about a certain cousin of mine (I won't mention any names!) who learned to like swimming thanks to his little stuffed friend "Buddy." So out of the diaper bag to save the day came Bear-bear, and hopped straight into the pool. Alas, this idea, though brilliant, didn't seem to make a difference to Britton. I was about to call it quits again when the instructor stuck her face into the water and blew bubbles. Almost instantly Britton stopped crying, stared and whispered increduously, "bubbles?" I stuck my face right in, blew some of my own, and that was it. Mr B turned into a little fish. He giggled and put his face in, kicked his froggy feet and splashed around for the next half hour. The transformation was amazing to see, and we had to drag him out of the pool after class!
(Hopefullyhis fear of the pool is abolished... I guess we'll find out next week!)

No comments: